Saturday, January 24, 2009

Those Were the Days My Friend(s)

We thought they'd never end
We'd sing and dance forever and a day
We'd live the life we'd choose ,we'd fight and never lose
For we were young and sure to have our way ....


Once upon a time, there was a tavern where we used to raise a glass or two
Remember how we laughed away the hours,think of all the great things we would do
Then, the busy years went rushing by us, we lost our starry notions on the way
If, by chance, I'd see you in the tavern, we'd smile at one another and we'd say
Just tonight, I stood before the tavern, nothing seemed the way it used to be
In the glass, I saw a strange reflection was that lonely woman really me?
Through the door, there came familiar laughter, I saw your face and heard you call my name
Oh, my friend, we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts, the dreams are still the same

We remember it as being sung by Mary Hopkins, but it was originally written by a Russian by the name of Boris Fomin in the early 1900's. Funny how those lyrics apply from generation to generation.

My DIL was talking about how certain songs bring back memories. It is funny how you can hear a song and all of a sudden you're right there, with the person(s), and every little detail of the moment is just as clear as if it just happened. I don't think that pictures conjure up distinct memories like a song does.

Help by the Beatles always reminds me of driving with friends to see a Herman's Hermits concert in Denver or if I hear Benny and the Jets I'm immediately transported to a week in Florida with my niece Melia. And White Rabbit brings up the memories of Marty Sekulic and his wild parties where he played Czechoslovakian marching music, while Cherish reminds me of a love in my life. Then there was an annoying kid in Junior High who kept calling me and singing Teen Angel. That's a song I don't care if I ever hear again. Fun, Fun, Fun ALWAYS reminds me of the A&W my parents owned, especially since a red t-bird was the first car I learned to drive, and yes there were times I told my dad I was driving it to the library.

I wonder what it is about the emotions of a song that take you right back there? Does music mean the same to men as it does to women? Do guys actually remember the song that was playing on the car radio during that first kiss? Or do they associate a song with what was on the radio when they were working on their '49 Ford in the garage? Maybe it's just a chick thing.

When I hear Take Me Out to the Ballpark I can smell popcorn and fresh mown grass, the National Anthem always brings tears to my eyes, and I want bagpipe music at my wake.

I still listen to a lot of 60's music, Jimmy Buffett and Santana are two of my all time favorites, and I love jazz and blues. Well, I think I'll go get a cup of tea and curl up with a good book and music. Why don't you join me?

1 comment:

  1. I have often wondered the same thing... does music mean the same thing to men as women? Does a song come on the radio and they automatically remember a certain event or moment?
    I would ask Sean, but he always claims he can't remember anything. So I don't know if he just can't or really things are different for girls than boy. Funny we were just talking about some of the different ways girls and boys react to things in life.

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear other comments and opinions!