Friday, January 23, 2009

Are You Counting Your Blessings?

I woke this morning to a fresh layer of snow on the ground. I wish I could say that it was "sparkling like diamonds" but we've still got the grey skies with us.

Our basement has been torn up all week while we have the carpet taken out and tile laid. It's been very noisy at times and the dust from cutting the tile is everywhere. Carlos, our tile guy, always comes in with a smile on his face, turns his boombox to his favorite Mexican station and sings and/or whistles the whole time he works. I'm going to miss him when he's gone. I can't remember a single time that I ever went to work and sang all day.

We've always been told to "count our blessings" but most of us tend to focus on the "problems" that we perceive are ours. Dick and I are very fortunate to be in the position that we're in right now. We both worked hard all of our lives and, through luck and good jobs, ended up being able to retire early and hopefully enjoy the next 30 or so years. Gosh that sounds like such a long time, especially when I think back 30 years. I can remember when Sean was young he always said that he would take care of me when he got older - by sending me to Florida! That doesn't sound like such a bad idea right now.



I finished my first full beading project today. I'm enjoying it but at the same time it can be so frustrating. Some of those beads are just so darn tiny and let's just say that my eyesight isn't what it used to be LOL :) Thank goodness for magnifying lights!




As I head off to bed I'm counting my blessings - each and every one of you is a blessing to me.












3 comments:

  1. The offer still stands. The family and I will move into your guys house and I'll pay to gas up the motorhome for your trip to Florida. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so correct. We all do tend to focus on the problems in life. It is the topic of our conversations and what we tend to share first instead of the good things that happen. So thanks for the reminder on how our attitudes can really make a difference in our lives.
    It reminded me of the "got to" and "get to" motivation that went around. Instead of "I got to go to work" it should be that in this time where so many are struggling "I get to go to work."
    Sean says he remembers the whole sending you to Florida.... maybe he will send me with you. That would be fun. Loving the beads.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jo,

    You did a great job on the necklace and earrings....it reminded me of the our little situation at the jewerly counter in Ft. Lauderdale. I glad it is a passing thought and not something I have to sit in an 8 X 8 and can think about nothing else all day.

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear other comments and opinions!